Monday, April 1, 2019

Grapefruit series - My EGO in software testing



It's time for the next Get to the Point, bite-sized post. Today I really want to put my (problems with) Ego in the spotlight. After all - is April Fools' Day, so what better time to do that!?
 


Let's talk QA shamanism

Look 'ma, no hands. ”
I can use my ass to sit on the keyboard - that's a test, right? I see people, who claim they are skillful and knowledgeable, so called gurus put a veil of mystery over what testing is. Maybe, hoping to start a cult and sell snake oil. Me and you, are clearly NOT in the same (QA) business!

No! Software testing is not a rocket science, it is natural. And should be fun! Testing is everything, but voodoo and we don't need witch doctors. The product or service we are testing are not caused by witchcraft. So, let's say I'm a Tech lead that knows only one, single technology (in his entire career). Then, why do I preach to others, how automation should be done in testing. Form and propose solutions, to all of other people's problems.


I have only 50 visits on my blog today. Should, I post content, that is just the eye candy aggregate of the information I found on the web. Will this offend the knowledge reader!?  On the other hand, as receiver of such great knowledge - how intelligent really am I? You want an example: great minds that have a huge impact on development and DevOps in the past decades, advocate Page object model as The solution. POM is great, when applied correctly, in a very narrow scope. Such case is pywinauto and desktop apps. Your selectors are an integral part of your GUI abstraction.


What's the point here?

We don't need fancy-schmancy terms, but simpler ones, so more and more people can be engaged in the software testing domain. All I'm saying is, that I shouldn't overengineer the testing - just because of my EGO needs.

1 comment:

  1. Informative and nice blog to read. We really need such blogs. If you want to read about what is OKR , you can have access to its full guide.

    ReplyDelete